[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Marcus, marc_a, almont2001  
Forum » LGBT Themed Movies » Documentaries - NΤΟΚΥΜΑΝΤΕΡ » Muslim Drag Queens (2015)
Muslim Drag Queens (2015)
MarcusDate: Friday, 2015-11-06, 3:40 AM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators

Sir Ian McKellen narrates this eye-opening film about the "Gaysian" community in Britain. It
is part of UK Channel 4's eclectic and award-winning "First Cut" strand, which showcases the
work of the best up-and-coming new documentary directors.

This documentary aired last night on Channel 4 in the UK. It is a compelling insight into
the so-called "Gaysian" community in the UK which provides a lifeline for young gay men of
Asian heritage whose sexuality is at odds with their cultural identity. Homosexuality is
widely considered to be forbidden within the religion of Islam, and the exhibitionist nature
of drag is one of the ultimate taboos for many British Asians. Three British Muslim drag
artists tell their stories, showing how they face the seemingly insurmountable challenge of
gaining acceptance within their wider communities.

The star of the Gaysian scene, and of the programme, is undoubtedly 31 year old Asif who
performs publiclly as his wonderfully glamourous alter ego Asif Lahore to campaign against
homophobia, an issue which he is all too familiar with.

"I am a very good Muslim" says Asif. He also says: "Some people say that stripping off a
burka isn't the right way forward." What Asif also says is: "What's the alternative?"

I think these guys/queens to be hugely brave and courageous, especially given what I understand to be the Muslim attitude towards homosexuality. I personally know one man of Pakistani Muslim heritage and he's simply not able to say the words "I'm gay", despite that he has been living with and having regular sex with one of my Roman Catholic friends for over four years now.

Online: Here OR Here
Available to users only

yianangDate: Saturday, 2015-11-07, 5:11 AM | Message # 2
Lieutenant general
Group: VIP
smile smile smile

Forum » LGBT Themed Movies » Documentaries - NΤΟΚΥΜΑΝΤΕΡ » Muslim Drag Queens (2015)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Website Builder Templates. uCoz. Copyright MyCorp © 2024 Gay Culture